Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Michael Phelps misses Gold...takes Silver

That's right folks. Phelps may have taken 8 Gold medals in Beijing but on Ty's blog he took second place to Melissa. The poll results are in. Twenty six of you voted and a massive 42% of you thought that Tyson's first words will be "mama". Phelps, who started the week out strong, fell behind mid-week and finished a distant second with 23% of the vote. Yours truly took the Bronze with 19% of the vote.

I'd like to appeal the vote since I recently found out that the name for daddy in Chinese is 'baba'. Now, if I entered my name as 'baba' in the polls instead of 'dada' I'm convinced I could have taken the lead. I mean how could you resist baba?

BTW, I've found out a few other Chinese words for family members. Kai-lan (of Ni Hao fame) isn't fibbing when she calls her grandfather 'Yeye' as that is the Chinese term of endearment for your father's father. "Nai Nai' is an informal address for your paternal grandmother. Tara, Melissa's sister, is Li Mu and Erin, my sister, is Gu Mu. And all this is pretty certain but could be completely wrong. Three of the English-Chinese dictionaries that I googled all said the same thing. So, we got to be in good shape, right? I mean the internet doesn't lie does it?

That is about the extent of the Chinese that we know. It's going to be real interesting when we add a Chinese-only speaking four-year-old in the mix.

Oh, and I know one other Chinese phrase. 'Te gway le' which means 'that's too expensive'. I plan on using that one a lot on Melissa while we are in China.

Until next time...

No comments: