Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Guest Blogger: Nai Nai

Tuesday July 20th Trav's 37th Birthday.  Guest writer Nai Nai here.

 

Well all, for better or worse, you're stuck with a post from me today.  It's sort of a birthday present for Trav, not having to come down to post at 11pm when we're all asleep.

 

For those of you that know me you know I operate with a stream of conscious thought…always thinking and processing and now typing.  So I'm going to give you a perspective on the trip from Gpa and me.  China is so much more than I imagined.  Let's start with Beijing.

 

That first night Dave and I ventured out onto the streets of Beijing.  We went into a restaurant and ordered by pointing at pictures…no English and we still don't know what we ate. We talked and laughed along with the wait staff and had a very good time.  It was there that we discovered that our size and my white hair were going to be subject of much discussion and photographs along the journey. The next day the whole group did the fastest tour of Beijing imaginable.  It was pouring while we were in Tianenmen Square and The Forbidden City.  Picture 40,000 people walking from a 10 lane highway onto to a two "lane" cart path all holding umbrellas right at eye level. Fortunately, we made it through the day without being blinded. Onto The Great Wall and a truly amazing site. One just can't imagine a million men literally carrying the bricks on their backs up slopes so steep your hands and feet are on the ground at the same time.  Once at theior destination…they lay the bricks in place…turn around and do it again…and again….  For lunch we ate more amazing Chinese food and then toured , a tour fantastic cloisonné factory. 

 

Well on Sunday we were in Nanchang and awaiting the arrival of our precious Lucy. I wish I could describe the unbelievable emotions I felt as we walked into the room and there she was…so cute...but crying her eyes out. Evidently, she had just been taken from her foster mom by a woman who fit my stereotype of someone from the Red Army.  She thrust Lucy into Melissa arms saying here's your baby, here's  your mama, walk!!!  I was in charge of the videoing so I'm sure it will be the worst ever done as I tried to follow Melissa around the room while tears streamed down my face. So for a few agonizing numbing minutes Melissa walked with her and then the "Red Army ladies" said goodbye and we were to go back to our hotel room.  Done, final, she was ours then. You've read lots from the kids relating the ensuing couple of days, but I can tell you when I think of that exchange I'm still numb from the whole transaction.  That evening Dave and I were put on a quest to find some milk.  Walking the torn up streets of Nangchang was quite an experience.  No sidewalks, so you just walk out in the street hoping that no buses, motorcycles, bicycles, cars or people run you over.  After several unsuccessful quests in "bodegas" we spotted good old Mickey D's down a couple of blocks.  Once there, even they didn't understand milk, so I resorted to "mooing".  They understood that, laughed and brought us 6 cartons of milk….mission successful. We truly loved the people of Nangchang.  Every afternoon Dave and I would go down for coffee while Dave worked.  They knew what we drank, how often to give us refills and they could come practice their English on us.  We always spoke to everyone, smiled and thanked them. The beautiful day-consierge, who we spoke to many times a day, upon our leaving came up to us with tears in her eyes telling us how special we were and thanked us for acknowledging her presence.  I, of course, cried too, hugged her and Dave said every Chinese woman in the place went ohhh in a good way.  Remember I'm old, my size and gray hair gave me much credibility with them and that I would hug this unnoticed female was something. Dave too had lots of folks wanting to have their picture taken with him.  As our guide/friend Allison says we're like "Rock Stars"….pity the future of rock music in the US.

 

So now we're posting from Guangzhou, another totally different city.  Beijing of course is millions of people, lots redone for the Olympics.  Nangchang is 6 million people, home of the Revolution, but with a much more working class feel to it.  Guangzhou is 12-13 million people…very big cityish…definitely not as easy to feel at home in as Nangchang.  It's been unbelievably hot here.  I'm saying 95 with a heat index of 123 or so.  I never knew I could produce so much perspiration…ok it's sweat.  That hasn't dampened (no pun intended) our spirit too much.  On an outing to Shaiman Island, we took Tyson and walked the Island.  Came upon sort of their rendition of Central Park, where everyone exercises, dances and sing.  Believe it or not there was a group doing swing, two step/ salsa dancing to English songs.  Dave and I just couldn't resist and had to get in the swing dancing to "I Like Bread and Butter, I Like Toast and Jam"  All the locals laughed and cheered and even old Tyson thought it was pretty cool that his Nai Nai and Gpa danced with the Chinese.

 

Yesterday was Zoo day and only the human animals were out and about.  Most of the "wild" animals tried to stay in as much shade as possible.  Tyson and Gpa tried to see every bird, beast and fish in the place.

 

We as grandparents have tried to be as helpful as possible with not only our family but others on our trip, even Dave has helped a few Chinese folks along the way.  I think our biggest question is when to help, when to take Tyson and how to get some "facetime" with Lucy.  Tyson's been really very good and has Lucy looking at him and mimicking him all the time. Lucy still lights up our world when she turns those big brown eyes on us and says "Gpa" Nai Nai" and throws her head back and laughs.  Both Dave and I feel blessed in so many ways.  We are so proud of our family. Travis and Melissa are remarkable parents.  They too are learning as they go along, but doing a beautiful job of weaving the old with the new.  Giving much love to each child and all in our group as well.  Melissa, with her remarkable planning skills has shared many of her supplies with those less prepared than she. And that formerly shy Tyson of two years ago is the non-stop talking ambassador of our group and at times even surprises himself by going up and talking to Chinese children.  We know there's lots going on in his little head.

 

 Believe it or not I have left out volumes of feelings, sights, smells, sounds and all the other things that make up China.  But I've rambled far too long now. So we send much love to you all.

 

Maureen/Nai Nai and Dave/Gpa

6 comments:

NET said...

Thanks Nai Nai" tell travis HAPPY BIRTHDAY Love and prays Aunt nanette

Eric Sanzone said...

Happy Birthday Travis! Jeff and I are sitting in Panera. In your honor we are going to stay and work here all day.

FLINK said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY!

Digdo said...

Happy Bday TBONE!!!

FLINK said...

Mamma J you did a great job. I will read your post anytime. Thanks for sharing your experiences and your heart with all of us! Tell Pappa J the Flinks say hi.

ashleigh said...

happy birthday!!!! we celebrated today with getting a picture of our sweet baby girl! : ) can't wait to be in your shoes. you are almost home...