Thursday, July 15, 2010

Just Another Day

Melissa here again.- Trav is still not feeling too well. 

Our day started with a trip to another People's Park.  Our guide, Alison, has been telling us a little bit about Chinese culture each day.  As we were driving to the park she said that the elderly people get up very early to do their shopping at little farmers markets that are set up on the sidewalk usually between 5 and 7 a.m.  Afterwards they go to the park to exercise.  At the park we visited today there was a large, open circle with what looked liked playground equipment.  Upon further inspection we realized that it wasn't meant for children but was actually adult exercise equipment, think Nautilus but outside.  It was all made of metal and will stand up to harsh weather and little kids playing on it.  Further into the park was a small amusement park.  We did venture on one ride that kind of spun around while we shot water at plastic animals in the center.  We didn't have time to go on more of them much to Tyson's chagrin.  There were plenty of rides that I wouldn't have dared go on.  They looked a little too rickety for my taste.  (And we didn't buy the travel insurance for medical evacuation). 

Lucy still isn't a fan of the hotel.  We had to stay around this afternoon though while our guide had some of our paperwork processed.  Afterwards she arranged for a calligrapher to come and make scrolls for our family.  Apparently the lady who came is part of the local calligraphy association and is actually a pharmacist.  She made beautiful scrolls with Tyson and Lucy's names and birthplaces on them.  This type of calligraphy is associated to the Jiangxi province and we hope that it will stay special in their hearts. 

Our pattern of eating is to have a western/Chinese blend for breakfast, Chinese lunch and western dinner.  Tonight's dinner was good old McDonald's.  As soon as we walked in Lucy opened her mouth and was pointing at her tongue.  We think that that is the 'feed me here' sign.  She ate French fries and a little cheeseburger.  It wasn't far away but it was getting dark and was raining.  The sidewalk conditions were no better than on the way to the other park so it was a little stressful getting there.  They have an English menu but the cashier and I still needed a little help getting our order straight.  Apparently me tapping on different pictures doesn't always get across the point that I wanted the whole meal, not just the sandwich.  Somehow I also bought 2 junky little toys that they were selling. 

Tomorrow we leave Nanchang.  As much as I will miss being in Lucy's birth city I want to get her out of this hotel.  She just gets so upset when we're here.  We'll be spending about a week in Guangzhou where we'll be doing the American paperwork.  By tomorrow afternoon she'll have a Chinese passport.  In Guangzhou (GZ) she'll get a medical exam, shots and a US visa. 

Lucy still is extremely attached to Trav.  She won't let anyone else hold her without pitching a fit.  I don't mean whining, I mean 'someone help me this isn't my family' kind of fits.  Poor Trav has to go to the bathroom with her on his lap. 

Many people come up to Tyson and try to talk to him.  He doesn't have any idea about what they are saying and pulls in close to me when they do.  Tonight he did try to copy some of the Chinese characters with a crayon and paper.  It was super cute. 

My prediction is that Lucy will be speaking pretty good English by Christmas.  She seems to pick things up pretty quickly even in this hard stage.  She says candy, G-Pa and tickle tickle. I was able to get her to play with me for a few minutes tonight by bribing her with some Skittles.  I'm pretty sure that I will be going to get some more of them in the morning before our flight. 

Things that Lucy likes: corn with butter, candy, sleeping on dad's chest & steamed eggs.  Things that she doesn't like: me, vegetables, being away from her dad & being told no. 

One thing that I've been processing in my head is that this trip couldn't be any more different than the last trip.  First of all there is the child aspect.  Tyson bonded to us in a totally different way and on a different timeframe.  Another way is harder to explain.  It's like this trip isn't foreign enough.  Both Beijing and Nanchang are almost too familiar even though I've never been to either one before this trip.  Don't get me wrong, things here are different than at home but just not as different as I thought they were the first time around.  The gaps between this country and ours are just not as big as I once thought.  Like I said, I'm still processing this but I just wanted to get it down in writing for some reason.

Well, I hope all of you are doing well.  You are in our thoughts and prayers all of the time.  We brought little pieces of so many of you with us.  I can't help but think of you all in so many ways.  We're using all of the things that you gave us, lent us or recommended to us.  They have all made the trip more pleasurable.  Well, everyone is asleep so I will join them now.  Love and miss you all!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you guys. Travis, hope you are feeling better soon and hoping you can get a few minutes here and there to yourself. Melissa, you are doing so great but I know this has to be so hard. I wish I was there to give you a great big hug. Tyson, you are doing so well and it sounds like helping your mommy through. Lucy, I know this must be crazy but I promise you that you are just about the luckiest little girl in the world to become part of that wonderful family.